1st Henna Experience

Hello my curlies and non-curlies,

We hear many naturalistas talk about the joy of using Henna; I've mentioned wanting to try in the past but never got around to it until now.  I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly so I researched some YouTube videos for the mix.  I saw a lot of ladies using tea and other ingredients, letting it sit overnight before applying it to the head, then sleeping with it in.  I just didn't have the time for all of that, but was anxious to put in and cover my greys.  Thankfully, I found an article where a woman used Coconut milk, and quickly remember the can I purchased that was still in the cabinet.

For the mix:
  • Henna with Rose (5.3oz).  I took out about a cup and gave to a friend so I didn't end up using the whole thing.  In the future, I can ration it out as needed.
  • 1 can of Coconut Milk
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • Let sit for 4 hours
As previously mentioned, I've read the dye doesn't release for 8 hours, but mine started releasing way earlier than that.  As a matter of fact, I mixed, covered, and let it sit while I ran errands.  Within that time, I noticed red lines in the mixture.

The package says to apply on clean hair so I cleansed my hair before using The Mane Choice - Give It To Me Straight Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler, and used Moisturize Me to style. However, I did see people applying the Henna on old hair.  The only reason I used this line instead of the one for curls is because I have more of this than the other.  I separated about 8 sections in preparation for the Henna, small sections are better to work through than large for me.
I applied the Henna to each section from root to end, and then placed it in a high bun.  Put a plastic cap over my head for an hour, removed the cap, and sat under my steamer for a 20 minute cycle.  I rinsed it out twice using the remainder of my As I Am cowash, and with Tresemme conditioner making sure the water wasn't brown anymore.  I can tell you that my hair was noticeably softer to the touch; I'm definitely adding this to my hair regimen.
In the video, you'll hear me talk about a horseshoe method using flexi-rods, and here is where I got it from Horseshoe Method.  I love the curl the  flexi-rod gives, but my hair is never fully dry when I take them down; I've yet to find the rod that gives me the best curl.  I used different color rods for a variety of curls throughout my head; some work for me and some don't.  Later that day, I put my hair up so I could go swimming, and the latter pics are of the next day.
Until next time.....Shauntay

Comments

Popular Posts