From Hospital to Rehab

Hello World,

At day 6 and being on a strict liquid diet, had me anticipating my broth, tea, and cranberry juice at every meal.  I'm telling you when you're at your lowest, you really appreciate the little things.  Now, when I was brought beef broth, I kindly told the aide I only want the chicken broth.  She said, no problem I'll handle it myself.  Well honey, when they brought me beef broth again, she went off on them.  Ma'am, I really appreciate you advocating on my behalf, and my stomach appreciates you more.
For my hair, I took the twists down from the pin up:
  • Sprayed my parts and natural hair with my conditioner mix (Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In/Detangler diluted with water along with drops of peppermint and tea tree oil for my scalp
  • Massaged some Moisturize Me onto my edges and throughout the visible hair
  • Glided some Grow Me (Oil) into my parts and natural hair
  • Pulled them up into a high ponytail
My twists have rubber bands on the ends, so I wasn't worried about them unraveling.  I kept my scarf & bonnet close by, and yes I traveled with my satin pillow!  I was not trying go backwards with my hair so she was taken into consideration during my packing process.
On day 7, I was ready to leave the hospital and be transported to rehab.  Thank you to my aunt who is also my aunt's best friend (she says she's my real mom, but don't tell my mom because she'll get jealous, lol) for always popping in at the right time. I know God sent her every time because I wouldn't have been ready for transport without her.  To the kind gentlemen who transported me with care thank you; especially to that handsome Angel God placed before me.  God bless you!!  I'll have some body butter for you soon.

Thank you to all the staff at the hospital that made this transition as easy as possible.  I love St. Barnabas Healthcare!!

I'm always hot and so was the room so an ice pack stayed on me, plus there was a Velcro brace wrapped around my abdomen connected to an ice bucket that helped me stay cool, because with heat came nausea for me along with it already being a side effect.  That was a nightmare so I tried to keep my body temperature cool.  Sad to say, I missed that heat once I left because from rehab to home, I've been freezing! Where's spring?  When is Arizona going to take me away?
Funny story behind the flowers, guy calls and asks for me by name, yes I said.  He responds, I have some flowers for you but I can't find you.  I give him the address and he says he'll be over after lunch.  I missed him, but the nurse says you have a nice surprise after cleaning my beautifully healing wound, no bragging just giving God the glory.  I'm wondering who they're from because I told my friends and family, no flowers.  Low and behold, they're from my lawyer a pleasant surprise and gift from God.  He knows when we need a pick me up, and can/will use anyone.  Thank you for thinking of me and sending me such gorgeous flowers; I was the envy at bingo.  (blushing)
Once I was at rehab, I was ready to get to work, but didn't know what to expect.  St Patrick's Day was the next day, so I knew festivities were arranged, and it was my rooomie's birthday.  I received an activities calendar where Bingo & manicures caught my eye.  Yes, I was playing bingo with my golden girls and guys!  I love bingo but mostly I like spending time with my elders; some were nasty but most just needed a little taste of encouragement and life!

I'm telling you, an elder can teach you something because they've been on this Earth longer than us young ins, lol.  I greeted the men "hey handsome" and the women, "hey beautiful." We all need to hear that sometimes.  A reminder that someone besides you still thinks your handsome or beautiful; try it, you just might brighten someone's day.
My recovery is coming along so well that it makes me feel like a walking miracle; I believe this is why and is a little testimony of my weight loss.  I started working out in 2006 at 5'9 weighing 244lbs, and stayed active enough to keep the weight at bay (fluctuated between 210-215, 5-10lbs).  Before surgery (2015) I had got down to 205 and once I got to rehab a week later, I was 198.5!  That strict liquid diet helped!  I was dancing around in my head because my goal in 2006 was to get down to 200; 214 had been my lowest.  Now, it's time to set a new a goal, and get this body ready for babies!

Note: I need to say this.  I've never been a person who told their weight because I've been heavy most of my teenage & adult life and was often picked on about it.  Once I found God in myself and started loving me for me, is when I found true love.  I realized my body is a temple and I must respect her as best I can if I want her to last.  I'm not perfect in no way, shape, or form but I do try to abstain from most things (mentally, emotionally, and physically).  I now demand respect (always gave it) from any and everyone because I refuse to succumb myself to any type of abuse (verbal, physical, emotional).  If I were perfect I'd be God, and I'm not so I'm not.  God delivered me from all abuse, why would I go back?
I said all that to say this, so many women put an emphasis on how much they weigh (the number), I could care less.  I just want to be healthy and feel good in my clothes.  Once your start to change your way of life by eating right and exercising on a regular, the pounds will slowly disappear and that may drive you at first but what it does for you mentally is the real win.  Be encouraged to get up and just go for a light brisk walk.
 
About 2 years before the surgery, I went to physical therapy (pt), worked out, stayed active, and consciously tried to eat clean.  Anyone with back issues MUST keep their weight low to keep the tension off your back, this is my opinion.  In addition to pt in rehab, I was also doing Occupational Therapy where my standing endurance was tested.  Check out the video below.
Doc (my designated father until he discharges me as I call him) prepped me, and said he expected a long hard recovery since I've been dealing with this pain for such a long time, but God has the final say.  Since this plan worked so well, I'll be doing the same thing with childbirth, "expect the worse but hope for the best" meaning I expected the worse pain EVER, but awoke to the complete opposite.

My apologies for leaving you guys hanging, but I'll be sharing my recovery in the upcoming posts.  Honestly, I had too much other stuff to put in my bag, my laptop just wouldn't fit; I tried.  The nurse asked my mom, "Does she think she's going on vacation?"  Well, it kind of was for me being away from home for 3 weeks.  They all asked where I got my satin pillow case from though.  Wal-Mart (7.99) Winning!!!

Please, feel free to follow me for more encouragement, empowerment, motivation, and determination under Shauntay White on Facebook and Google+, on Instagram under Naturals_by_Shauntay.  Until next time........Shauntay

Comments

Popular Posts