MIA - Missing In Action

My Curlies,
 
For at least 4+ years, I've been dealing with chronic pain; even the people closest to me would empathize but no one could never fully understand until you've dealt with it.  You have no idea of the physical, emotional, and mental stress one goes thru; some pain was constant and some came and went, but they all kept me limited.  You'd never know with the smile that was always on my face.  Well after fighting my insurance company for 2+ long years, I was finally cleared for surgery.  Was I nervous? Of course, but every time I thought about it I said it's in your hands God; you opened every door.
 
My hair was twisted into a tight, cut up-do using rubber bands, and small scrunches since no hair pins are allowed in the operating room.  I kept my scarf and bonnet handy while lying down.  I'm a controlling person so I took control of the things I could which was my hair, nails (hands & feet), and my eyebrows which were flawless by the way after not getting them waxed for a whole year!  Why wait a year you ask?

Well, the way my bank account is set up no just kidding (referencing a Kevin Hart joke), waxing isn't permitted while on Accutane so I waited longer than normal before I started waxing again.  I wanted to make sure my skin was ready because if it isn't you could pull your skin off.  I didn't know how I was going to look or be when I awoke from the surgery so my way of keeping some of my pride and dignity was still looking my best after major invasive back surgery.  Especially since I looked like Martin from the 'Tommy Hurns' episode.  : )
 
Now, I knew I wouldn't be permitted to get out of bed after the surgery, but I at least thought my surgeon would let me out of the bed on day 2.  Nope he said, but on day 3 they'll get you out of bed and start taking some things off and out, so I rested all day.  Can't you tell in the day 2 pic how happy I was being rotated from one side to the other all day long, and my hips are still sore!!  My mouth was so dry and they bring you these sponges to wet your mouth, but I begged for ice chips or a sip of water.

This was a very humbling process because I saw a lot of things I'll never take for granted again!  When I was finally given some ice water and told to sip it not gulp, it was one of the happiest times of my life, true story!  While on bed rest, I was also on a Morphine drip with oxygen, and every 6 minutes I could press the button for a dose.  I forgot half the time because I wanted to see how much pain I could take.  I didn't/don't want to get hooked on prescription drugs like so many others do just because you're trying to get rid of the pain.

Day 3 came and I was up and ready to be taken off the Morphine drip, and they started unplugging me like a computer. No need for the oxygen or catheter anymore either; because physical therapy was getting me out of bed and on my feet.  I was finally getting my body back, and felt better once everything was out.  Getting up to a sitting position was one of the hardest things after only being rotated on each side for 2 days.  I'm telling you, my hips are still sore!  Ironically, as soon as I was up and on my feet, you couldn't tell me anything walking with my walker.

I was just grateful that everything still worked and some of the pain was gone; I just couldn't tell if the pain meds were masking it or if my surgeon relieved some of the pain with this procedure.  By the weekend, the therapist told me I was cleared to walk the floor without assistance.  I couldn't believe how well I was doing; out of 28 days (today is just shy of 30 days) I've had maybe 5 bad days.  Nausea is expected but that's an ongoing issue from a bus accident but (an ice pack and Zofran fixed it), and I almost passed out twice in the hospital.  The other episode was in rehab, calling earl again.  This is becoming a serious issue.  I was hoping the surgery would rid me of that horrible episode usually once a month, but this past 30 days & February makes twice a month.  : (
 

It wasn't until yesterday that I could return to the scene of where this all began without tensing up or trying to avoid it at all costs.  God has given me peace in this situation since I got my surgery.  I parked, took pictures, and even made a personal video of my growth; I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Until next time......Shauntay

Comments

Popular Posts