3rd Month Accutane Update!

Before Accutane 12/13 - After Accutane 5/14 (3 months down 2 months to go)

Should I take Accutane?  This is the question I kept asking myself before I decided to go onto Accutane, but today I begin my 3rd month!  People were telling me to try all these different regimens, but after 8 years of dealing with cystic acne and trying different options, I was ready for a change.  During my research, I was concerned because of the many side effects which led me to a whole page of questions front/back for my dermatologist.
 
Honestly, I had to stop reading because I was getting stressed out by the second.  I'm the type of person to ask a million questions until I fully understand, which was good for this situation because this medication is only given out on a very strict basis by a dermatologist.  Due to the severity of this medication, it must be strictly monitored.
 
In February, I had my first visit and my dermatologist registered me for the program, but there were other requirements such as: 
  • Pregnancy test required at 1st visit - must be negative
  • Wait to receive an id & password in the mail
  • Wait 30 days to get 2nd appointment
  • 2nd Pregnancy test required at 2nd visit - must be negative
  • Monthly Blood work & pregnancy tests - may be required
Why so many pregnancy tests?  It is IMPERATIVE that one must NOT get pregnant on this medication because it WILL cause birth defects!  When a woman is in her child bearing ages, she has to choose 2 forms of birth control, tell the doctor her choices, and verify it with him before he can prescribe her next months prescription.  Abstinence is also a option.  One must answer a questionnaire correctly before the script can be picked up, and it must be within the 7 day window.

There are many pros & cons when it comes to Accutane and side effects reported, but I had to remind myself that I may not get every one of them.  Below, is a breakdown of some side effects that I've dealt with so far are and some pros & cons:
  • One small nose bleed while asleep on the 20 mg (during my first month)
  • Lose of appetite (Derm says it has nothing to do with the medication though)
  • Dry lips (keep Vaseline jar with me)
    • I've been using my body butter to counteract the dry skin
Pros
  • Weight Loss
  • Fuller Lips (Loving my new Lips)  Hope they stay!
  • Clear Skin
Cons
  • No waxing (my poor eyebrows)
  • No alcohol
  • Hair Thinning/Loss (Haven't experienced this, but taking Biotin pills in case)
  • Breakouts here/there (due to cheese & fried foods, both are no-no's)
All in all, one must be aware of the medication they're taking, be healthy, and communicate with their doctor.  I trust God with everything in me so I went on this medication on faith.  It was the right time so I went for it.  After my doctor took the time to listen to my concerns & answer every question I had, I felt comfortable picking up my prescription.  I don't regret reading all those side effects because I now know what to look for if something does happen.  I must say I'm very pleased with the results so far.
 
Until next time....

Shauntay

Comments

Popular Posts